Losing weight is difficult, but motivation and effort make it easy. There are many ways of losing weight, either naturally or by supplements. But naturally, losing weight is good because it cannot harm your body. At the same time, there are endless diets, supplements and meal replacement plans for weight loss. There are also some strategies for weight management, including exercising, keeping track of calories intake, fasting and reducing the number of carbohydrates in the diet.
Diet Plan for Weight Loss:
Scientific Methods of losing weight
Try Intermittent FastingIntermittent fasting is a pattern of eating that involves regular short fasts and consuming small meals within a short period during the day. Several studies show that short term intermittent fasting for 24 weeks leads to weight loss. There are the following discontinuous fasting methods;
- Alternate day fasting (ADF): you fast on one day and then eat what you want the next day.
- The 5:2 Diet: British Journalist Michael Mosley popularized five days of the week are average eating days, while the other two days restrict calories to 500-600.
- The 16/8 method: one of the most popular fasting methods. In this method, fast for 16 hours and eat only in 8 hours of the window.
Tracking your diet and exerciseIf someone needs to reduce weight, they should know what to eat and what not to eat. Tracking physical activity and weight loss progress on the go can be an effective way of managing weight. There is a positive correlation between weight loss and frequency of monitoring food intake and exercise. Researchers estimated in 2017 that there would be 3.7 billion health app downloads by the end of the year. Even a simple device pedometer can be a helpful weight-loss tool.
Eating mindfullyThe practise of mindfulness has helped thousands of people to live more intentionally and develop the skills necessary to manage chronic pain, disease, depression, sleeping problems, and anxiety. The purpose of mindful eating is not to lose weight, although it is highly likely that those who adopt this eating style will lose weight. Diets focus on eating rules (what to eat, how much to eat and what not to eat).
Techniques for mindful eating are
- Sitting down to eat, preferably at the table.
- Avoid distractions while eating.
- Eat slowly.
- Making considered food choices.
- Appreciating your food.
Eating protein for breakfastOne of the principal ways to fill yourself up in the morning is to have a protein-rich breakfast to feel satiated through the day. Protein not only keeps you fuller for longer, but it also helps kick-start your metabolism, further helping you in weight loss. A high protein diet can also reduce your belly fat. Good choices for a high protein breakfast include eggs, oats, nuts and butter, quinoa, porridge, sardines, and chia seeds pudding.
Cutting back on sugar and refined carbohydrates
- Curb your intake of sugar-sweetened drinks.
- Cut back on fine-grain bread.
- Eat fruit.
- Choose low carb snacks.
- Start your day with eggs or any other low-carb breakfast.
- Use sugar alternatives.
- Stevia leaves
- Focus on protein foods.
Good food swaps
- Whole-grain rice, bread and pasta rather than the white version
- Fruits, nuts, and seeds instead of high sugar snacks
- Herb teas and fruit-infused water instead of high sugar soda
- Smoothies with water or milk instead of fruit juice
Drink plenty of waterScience suggests that water can aid in weight loss in various ways. It may suppress appetite, boost metabolism, and make exercise more accessible and efficient.
Eating plenty of fibreA study in Annals of Internal Medicine suggests that eating 30 grams of fibre each day can help lose weight, lower blood pressure, and improve the body’s response to insulin. Dietary fibre is low in calories promote weight loss. Fibre-rich food include;
- Whole-grain breakfast cereals, whole-grain pasta, whole-grain bread, oats, barley and rye
- Fruits and vegetables
- Peas, beans and pulses
- Nuts and seeds
Getting a good night’s sleepOne study found that sleeping 5.5 hours each night for two weeks while on a calorie-restricted diet resulted in less fat loss when compared to sleeping 8.5 hours each night. Getting proper sleep is essential for a healthy weight loss plan. Most importantly, losing sleep while dieting can reduce the amount of weight loss. Insufficient or poor-quality sleep slows down how the body converts calories to energy, called metabolism. When metabolism is less effective, your body may store unused energy as fat. Poor sleep also affects the regulation of appetite hormones leptin and ghrelin. Leptin sends signals of fulness to the brain.
Managing stress levelStress can remarkably impact your ability to maintain a healthy weight. Stress can trigger the release of hormones such as adrenaline and cortisol, which initially decrease the appetite. Some methods of managing stress level;
- Yoga, meditation
- Breathing or relaxation techniques
- Spending some time outdoors, for example walking or gardening.
Guidelines of Losing WeightThere are many tips for losing weight. Some are;
- Eat regular meals
- Do not skip breakfast
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Base your diet on whole foods
- Get more active
- Drink plenty of water
- Choose high fibre foods
- Read food labels when buying
- Use a smaller plate
- Avoid fast or fatty foods
- Cut down on alcohol
- Plan your meal
- Close the kitchen at night
- Lift weight at least three times a week
- Regular exercise
- Get motivated
- Change lifestyle
- Avoid sugary foods or drinks
- Watch less TV
- Get more sleep
- Eat mindfully
- Skip snacks
- Eat slowly
- Drink water before a meal
|Pre-Breakfast||One glass of lukewarm water 1 tsp chia seeds|
|Breakfast (7-8 AM)||Two brown pieces of bread 1 Omelette 1 cup of tea|
|Snack#01 (10-11 AM)||1 cup green tea|
|Lunch (1-2 PM)||Two kabab 1 cup of mixed veggies & fruit salad|
|Snack# 02 (4-5 PM)||One glass of lukewarm milk 4-5 Almonds|
|Dinner (7-8 PM)||One chapatti 1 cup of green beans curry ½ cup salad|
|Work Out. Eat Well. Be Patient. Your Body Will Reward You.|